Listen to this Vidya Vox Interview:
“If you are gonna do anything creative, you have to take it quite seriously and really practice your craft. There is no shortcut to being good at what you do.”
Vidya Vox shares her journey from being an immigrant kid in US going to psychology school to becoming YouTube sensation. She today amasses fan following of over 4.5 million subscribers with over 400 million views on her YouTube channel.
Vidya is one of the top YouTube influencers coming from Indian origin. She is a singer and songwriter who flawlessly marries the western songs with traditional Indian classical and Bollywood songs in the form of cover songs and mashups. One can feel her amazing vibe and energy in every single song she has ever produced. Be it the costumes that she uses or the dance moves and facial expressions that she offers you can get simply enthralled with her performance.
She is currently focused in creating more of her own original songs. She has released her own EP Kuthu Fire back in 2017 and since then she has never missed to leave her followers mesmerized with her originals. Vidya has also been performing artist in YouTube FanFest India 2017.
Some Questions I ask Vidya:
- How did your Grandmother inspired you to follow your dreams?
- Who was the artist that you have grown up looking up to?
- How was your conversation with Mother like when you were leaving your job behind and following your passion in Music?
- How was that moment of uploading that first video on YouTube like?
- What your definition of success for the every song that you create?
- How do you prepare just before climbing up the stage for your live performances?
Want to start your own podcast?
I can help you launch your very own podcast right from coming out with idea to publishing episode number one. Join my SIX weeks long online group podcast coaching program. Read More.
- 03:53 Vidya talks about her family background, culture she comes from and her life as an Immigrant Kid in US.
- 06:51 She shares how her grandmother pushed her and her sister to learn music and how she is living her dreams through Vidya.
- 08:30 She expresses her love for AR Rahaman and the revolution he has brought in Indian Music. She has seen Beyonce as her idol as a kid.
- 09:43 Vidya shares about the transition from Psychology school to the new world of Musical career. Meeting Shankar Tucker and going on tour with his band.
- 13:57 Conversation that she had with her mother before moving to India to learn music and follow her passion in Music.
- 17:58 Challenges she had to go through as an Immigrant teenager including bullying, being teased about culture and food.
- 21:20 She shares the story of creating and sharing first mashup for her YouTube channel.
- 24:42 Why finding two perfect songs for mashup is a puzzle and how Vidya and team solves that in hour one.
- 27:10 Why numbers of views doesn’t matters to Vidya anymore?
- 29:49 She talks how haters and negative energy that came from creepy guys on club inspired name for her latest original Tamil Born Killa.
- 31:39 Vidya shares about designing the awe-inspiring costumes herself for music videos.
- 34:41 How she deals with the pressure to deliver best song every single time.
- 36:13 What sort of responsibilities comes along with rising popularity and why it is necessary to live with those responsibilities.
- 39:50 Challenges she has been through in Musical career and lessons she learnt.
- 41:59 Why it is integral to surround yourself with people who encourages and pushes you to the limit?
- 44:03 Her message to those afraid of following their heart.
- What inspires Vidya to do everything that she does: Nature, family and fans.
- Which one daily habit has been game-changer for her: Working Out
- What book she thinks everyone must read: The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
- Things she think would have done differently:
- Would have been to Music School and got music degree
- Which online tool has been super-helpful for her: Things
Connect With Vidya Vox:
Resources Mentioned in this episode:
SUBSCRIBE TO THE INSPIRING TALK ON:
Follow the Inspiring Talk on
One Last thing….